This year’s bonfire night resides on Sunday 5th November 2017. Many people will be playing with sparklers, setting off fireworks and lighting bonfires. Whilst it can be an exhilarating experience to take part in setting off these beautiful lights, you should be aware that it can be very dangerous if done so irresponsibly.
Dangers of sparklers
Did you know sparklers burn at a temperature of 1,000-2,000 degrees? This is high enough to burn a hole through your clothing and cause severe skin burn. Beware of letting children under the age of 5 play with sparklers unattended as they account for over 60% of injuries from sparklers on bonfire night.
Dangers of fireworks
Fireworks can burn at 3,000 degrees and higher. Besides suffering severe burning, there have been reported cases where people have sustained life-changing injuries after the misuse of fireworks. Fingers have been lost; permanent scarring of the face; amputation of the hands and many more serious injuries can be and have been caused by fireworks.
If you will be taking part in setting off any fireworks, you should be aware of the risks not just to yourself but also to the people around you. And if you are not taking part in setting off any fireworks, you should still be vigilant if you are outdoors. Whilst bonfire night can be a great night to remember, don’t let it be for the wrong reasons.